April 4, 2025

Akron Police Release Body Camera Footage of Fatal Shooting, Showing What Really Happened

The Akron Police Department has released body camera footage from a fatal officer-involved shooting that took place last week. The video, made public on Saturday, captures officers repeatedly ordering 39-year-old Marcus Smith to drop his weapon before opening fire. Even after Smith collapsed to the ground, officers continued issuing commands for him to disarm before firing additional rounds.

Following the release of the footage, Use of Force Expert Tim Dimoff reviewed the video and provided his analysis:

“Officers are acknowledging that they’re being shot at. I hear numerous commands to stop shooting,” Dimoff told reporters on Saturday. “I think this is a textbook reaction from the officers responding, spreading out, having to respond with high-level use of force,” he explained. “And then I was highly impressed with the immediate response to the subject, even though this subject shot at them, they responded immediately to apply first aid and also to call for EMS.”

Statements from City Officials

Akron Police Chief Brian Harding addressed the incident in a statement accompanying the video release:

“This incident highlights the challenging and sometimes dangerous encounters our officers face every day. Often, our officers are confronted with difficult decisions in the interest of public safety and in the most extreme cases, those decisions can mean life or death. This was a dangerous interaction that had the potential to become much worse. I’m incredibly grateful that no innocent bystanders or officers were harmed. The Akron Police Department remains committed to the public safety of all our residents as the highest priority.

Any loss of life is tragic and my condolences go out to the family of Marcus Smith as they grieve the loss of their loved one.”

Akron Mayor Shammas Malik also released a statement, emphasizing the dangers officers faced during the confrontation.

“The body-worn camera footage released today underscores the dangerous situation that our officers encountered on Monday morning. During the incident, officers attempted to stop Marcus Smith, who was armed and repeatedly fired a weapon. I remain very thankful that no other lives were lost in this incident. My thoughts are with all of the responding officers as they process this traumatic encounter, with the neighborhood residents who witnessed it, and with our officers who begin shifts each day, knowing that they may have to respond to a similar call.”

Malik also acknowledged Smith’s history of mental health struggles, urging the community to prioritize mental health awareness. “I want to acknowledge these challenges and share my condolences to his family members. I also want to be clear that nothing excuses or justifies dangerous or deadly actions,” he said. “For anyone who is in need of support with mental health challenges, reaching out for help is an incredibly meaningful step – for yourself and for others. Anyone in our community can start that process by calling 2-1-1 at any time or texting their zip code to 898-211 for assistance via text to be connected to resource providers.”

Family Calls for Mental Health Awareness

Smith’s family spoke to reporters on Thursday, expressing their belief that his struggle with mental health played a significant role in the tragic events. They called for increased awareness and support for those facing similar challenges.

“We know that he wasn’t being treated appropriately,” said Smith’s aunt, Jackie Jackson. “And so that is what we want to bring to the forefront, is that, you know, getting people the help that they need, making sure that they’re being properly diagnosed, making sure that they are getting the treatment that they need.”

The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) is leading the ongoing investigation into the incident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.