
Cleveland Municipal Court has reopened its doors after a cyber attack forced a nearly three-week shutdown, disrupting court proceedings and frustrating visitors. In a statement, court administrators confirmed the reopening:
The Cleveland Municipal Court will reopen to the public on Wednesday, March 12, 2025. All cases previously scheduled for that day, in the General Division, will be heard.
Court operations, with the exception of the jail docket, were suspended on February 23, 2025, following the cybersecurity incident the Court previously disclosed. The investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Due to the closure of the Cleveland Municipal Court, all criminal and civil cases that were set for hearings between February 24, 2025, and March 11, 2025, will be rescheduled no less than 30 days after the Court reopens. Notices will be sent by the Clerk of Court to all parties involved.
As some will remember, we covered this attack yesterday: Cleveland Municipal Court Shutdown Continues Into Third Week
Court officials have provided limited details about the cyber attack, including who was responsible or whether any sensitive information was compromised. However, the state’s cyber response team was deployed to assist and reportedly completed its work within a week.
For many, the extended closure caused significant inconvenience. “I thought it was going to be like a one-day or two-day thing. We had to wait like a month,” said Trevionn Carrington, who had been trying for weeks to retrieve bail money. He was among a long line of visitors eager to resolve pending court matters on reopening day. “It was just the inconvenience,” he added. “I feel like there should’ve been something like a backup.”
Since the shutdown on February 23, only jail arraignments had been proceeding as scheduled. With the court now fully operational, the clerk’s office has resumed processing cases, and hearings will be rescheduled within 30 days.
For some, the reopening was a relief after weeks of uncertainty. “It’s just the only thing I think about at night, and when I wake up, I’m like, ‘Oh man, I’ve got to get this settled,’” said Randy Garcia, who appeared in court Wednesday to pay a speeding ticket.
Tiscisia Cole echoed concerns about the impact of the delay. “To be delayed could compromise people’s lives and their freedom. Any court business is very important. So hopefully this doesn’t happen again.”
While officials have not confirmed whether security measures have been strengthened, some visitors expressed hope that safeguards will be put in place to prevent future disruptions. “I feel like in the future they should have a backup in case stuff like this happens,” Carrington said.
As the investigation continues, court operations are expected to return to normal in the coming weeks.