April 4, 2025

Superior Midway Project May Force Change to St. Patrick’s Day Parade Route

Cleveland’s beloved St. Patrick’s Day Parade may face a significant shift as concerns mount over the impact of the upcoming Superior Midway Project. Parade officials, local business owners, and residents are voicing apprehensions about how the large-scale bikeway development could reshape the event’s long-standing route through Downtown.

For now, no changes will occur in 2025 or 2026. However, as construction on the Midway Project is set to begin in 2027, officials warn that the parade may be forced to relocate from Superior Avenue. Business owners fear the move could bring severe financial consequences, as the event draws thousands of spectators to local establishments each year.

Safety vs. Tradition

City officials defend the project, emphasizing its goal of enhancing pedestrian and cyclist safety. “Probably one of the best views on St. Patrick’s Day. And then there’s also people on the patio and the sidewalk. Completely crammed with people, there’s just people bleeding into the bus lane,” said Mike Pelechaty, Head of Brewing Operations and Co-Founder of Masthead Brewing Company.

That prime location for parade viewing, enjoyed by patrons at Masthead and nearby businesses, may no longer be an option once construction begins. “It would definitely not be good. I mean, it would definitely be a hit to us and a hit to our patrons, our guests, and our staff,” Pelechaty added.

The $25 million project will introduce a raised, landscaped median featuring a pedestrian and bike path running from Public Square to East 55th Street. While the design prioritizes daily safety, parade organizers argue that the revised roadway layout simply cannot accommodate the crowds, floats, and vehicles associated with the event.

“This really puts us in jeopardy,” said Patrick Murphy, Director Emeritus of The Saint Patrick’s Day Parade Committee, Inc. “If you’re gonna do this, put this 28-foot raised platform in the middle of the roadway, you’re gonna squeeze us to a point where we’re not gonna survive on Superior.”

The City’s Position

Despite the concerns, city officials remain committed to both the project and the annual parade tradition. In a statement, City of Cleveland spokesperson Jorge Ramos Pantoja emphasized the city’s dedication to both safety and cultural heritage:

“The story of Irish Americans in Cleveland is one of resiliency, vibrancy, and a deep commitment to sustaining cultural ties, with the St. Patrick’s Day parade as a foundational cornerstone. While we embrace, value, and support the St. Patrick’s Day parade by providing more than $245,000 of in-kind security and event logistics every year, the City is also responsible for making our streets as safe and welcoming as possible for daily use.

In 2024, over 300 people experienced life-changing injury or death as a result of traffic crashes within our city. Based on feedback from residents — and data — solutions like the Cleveland Midway Project have proven to increase road safety for everyone, by narrowing lanes, slowing speeds, and reducing crash severity.

The City of Cleveland is still open and willing to work with parade organizers to determine a new Downtown Cleveland route for the parade beginning in 2027. It is possible to both have safer streets and continue the legacy of the Downtown Cleveland St. Patrick’s Day parade, and we look forward to evolving together for the next chapter of this great Cleveland tradition.”

Seeking a Solution

Pelechaty, while supportive of the Midway Project and its safety enhancements, remains uncertain about the parade’s future on Superior Avenue. “The two biggest questions we had were: is the parade going to be able to exist on Superior anymore and how is construction going to sort of affect our operations,” he said.

City officials previously stated that construction would occur at night to minimize disruptions, though questions remain regarding noise ordinances and the feasibility of this approach.

Calley Mersmann, Senior Strategist for Transit and Mobility with the City of Cleveland, reaffirmed the city’s stance, stating, “The parade details are up to the parade organizers. The City of Cleveland is a big supporter and partner of keeping the parade downtown as it has been for decades.”

Despite city officials’ willingness to explore new routes, parade organizers are pushing back against relocation. They argue that proposed alternatives, such as shifting the parade to St. Clair Avenue, are unworkable. Murphy suggested that a simple modification to the Midway Project design—removing six feet of landscaping—could allow the parade to remain on Superior Avenue.

For now, discussions remain at an impasse, and the future of Cleveland’s iconic St. Patrick’s Day Parade remains uncertain. Updates will be provided as construction plans and negotiations continue to unfold.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.